Sunday, 1 September 2013

Being Vegetarian

Disclaimer: Before reading this post, please be aware that I am not intending to attack or judge anyone that does eat meat. I am simply explaining what it is for me to be vegetarian. Furthermore, if you sense a tone of defensiveness within my writing then please excuse this also but I have become all too accustomed to attacks upon my diet and upon my choice. I hope you enjoy what I have written and find it informative!!!!!! Lots of love xxxx


So this month I have officially been vegetarian for 2 years!
According to peta's website I have already saved 560 animals by practising a vegetarian diet and if I remain vegetarian for the rest of my life, I will save 17360 more animals!!!!

FAQs

Why are you vegetarian?

People become vegetarian for many reasons but I stopped eating meat because I felt guilty about being a part of the meat industry. However, I still eat dairy (eggs, milk, cheese) despite the ethical concerns within those industries. I just like to think I'm doing my bit! Cutting down is better than not doing anything at all I would say... I just prefer to minimise my impact and my guilt. Plus, after two years being meat-free, I have generally just gone off the idea of eating meat.





How do you get your protein/iron/B12 etc?
Protein is in a wide range of foods, not just meat. For example, on a week to week basis I would get protein from eggs, nuts, beans, yoghurt, Quorn, wholegrains, lentils, tofu etc. People do not need as much protein as is commonly thought and too much protein can be bad for you. Iron can be found in my diet through beans, cashews, raisins, spinach, tomato juice and tempah. B12 is actually a vitamin which comes from the soil and the reason that meat eaters do not get questioned on their B12 deficiency is that they supposedly attain B12 through eating animals that have eaten food which has been contaminated by the soil. However, due to intensive farming, there is not much B12 left in a meat eater's diet either. B12 can be obtained through fortified cereals and soy milk (and Frijj milkshakes)!

Do you eat fish?
NO. (**little flames appear in my eyes and steam comes out of my ears!!!!!**)
People that eat fish but not meat (beef, pork, chicken) are called pescetarians. Not vegetarians.

Do you use leather?
A girl on tumblr once sent me a message about this and I feel that my response summed it up pretty well:

As a vegetarian do you still wear leather dr martens etc? My friends told me I'm not a proper vegetarian because of the fact I still wear mine. My only problem is the fact of putting a dead animal into my mouth.
I have 1 leather pair of dr martens and 1 vegan pair of dr martens. Surely if you already have leather dr martens it would be better to wear them and get their use rather than waste the animal skin. Although I bought the leather pair before I was vegetarian, I have bought a couple of leather items since. The thing about leather is actually more vegan than it is vegetarian and although I would prefer to avoid leather, sometimes I don’t. You are still a “proper” vegetarian so long as you do not eat meat, I know vegetarians that wear fur coats because they are vintage… not that I would personally. Don’t let people try and bring you down to their level, I think your friends feel threatened by you being different and so try to say “see you’re just as bad as us” but my dad always said that if you have 100 glass bottles, it is better to recycle 50 of them than to not recycle any at all. Every little helps haha X


Is it just an ethical thing?
It is largely an ethical thing for myself but I am also concerned about my health and the environment. Livestock farming produces 18% of greenhouse gas emissions where the world's entire transport system is only responsible for 13.5%. Livestock production is also responsible for 70% of Amazon deforestation. Crrraaaaazy!

Wtf?!!!! is Gelatin?????
Gelatin is a form of protein obtained by boiling skin, tendons, ligaments and bones with water. It usually comes from cows or pigs. Gelatin is found in jelly and marshmallows, as well as some other types of sweets (such as Haribos). Not all vegetarians avoid gelatin as it is a by-product of slaughter but personally I do.

Some vegetarians and vegan celebrities: *cheesy 90s dating show music*
Paul McCartney, Leona Lewis, Mike Tyson, Courtney Stodden, Natalie Portman, Jona Weinhofen, Bill Clinton, Jack Johnson, Anne Hathaway, Ellen Degeneres, Toby Maguire, Jared Leto, Emily Deschanel, Joan Jett, Russell Brand, Steve-O, Kristen Bell, Travis Barker, Joss Stone, Lea Michele, Oli Sykes, Pamela Anderson, Jason Mraz, Sarah Silverman, Stella McCartney, Morrissey, Prince, Shania Twain

Cute and concerning facts about animals:
Fish have nervous systems and pain receptors just like all other animals.
Chickens have varying tastes in music, food and even television.
Cows are known to choose leaders based upon intelligence.
Pigs are known to be very loyal.
Cows hold grudges against those that treat them badly.
Pigs are smarter than the average 3-year-old child.
Fish are known to gather information by eavesdropping.
Chickens teach their offspring to communicate before they are born.
Pigs are more intelligent than dogs and even some primates.



I hope you enjoyed this post as I know a lot of this stuff can seem pretty confusing and weird for a lot of people. If you have any more questions feel free to leave them in the comments section below and I will reply ASAP!

Check out Peta's vegetarian/vegan starter kit:
http://features.peta.org/VegetarianStarterKit/




Thanks for reading!
☽ Morgan ☾
Follow my twitter & instagram @morgancrawf


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved reading this post! I have been vegetarian for nearly 6 years and I completely share your views (I bought dr martens before I was veggie too haha) it's so nice to see a blog post on this as a lot of people dismiss serious issues on blogs! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete